With families at the center of health care, all children and youth reach their full potential and health disparities are eliminated.
Family Voices is a national organization and grassroots network of families and friends of children and youth with special health care needs and disabilities that promotes partnership with families--including those of cultural, linguistic and geographic diversity-in order to improve healthcare services and policies for children.
Family Voices believes in:
- Social justice and the promotion of health equity
- Authentic family-centered care that recognizes family as the center of a child's life and as an equal partner in decision-making about all aspects of the child's care
- Effective family/professional partnerships at the local, state, and national level
- Inclusion and connection of underserved families representing the cultural, linguistic and geographic diversity of the population
- Connected and informed Family Leaders and Youth Leaders as powerful change agents
- Children and youth with special needs and their families becoming empowered self-advocates
- Family engagement in prevention, health and wellness in clinical and community settings.
- Develop family and youth leaders, particularly those from underserved and underrepresented populations
- Maintain and strengthen Family Voices' leadership role for children and youth with special health care needs (SHCN) and disabilities through advocacy and partnerships
- Create and support policy positions for children and youth with SHCN and disabilities
- Connect and enhance a vibrant national network of family organizations that reflect the diversity of the population they serve
- Maintain and strengthen organizational structure and capacity