Fall Costume Contest Announced with Prizes
(Photos, from top to bottom:
1. Costume for a boy with spina bifida - see http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/01/best-halloween-costume-wheelchair-special-needs-buster-ice-cream-truck_n_1928714.html)
2. Boy in traditional Native American costume dances at New Mexico State Fair see http://www.examiner.com/article/native-dancers-shine-at-new-mexico-state-fair
3. Girls dressed for Day of the Dead celebrations
Family Voices announces a Free Fall Costume Contest for families of children and youth with special health care needs and/or disabilities.
A $100 Target gift card will be awarded to the winner in each of three age categories:
0 – 7 years old, 8 – 14 years old, 15 – 21 years old.
This contest will run from October 15 through November 5.
Winners will be announced by November 9.
Many cultures include children dressing up in costume at some time during the year as part of their tradition, and often these celebrations take place in the fall. This practice can be ceremonial or recreational – it is always exciting and often meaningful for both children and adults.
Family Voices’ costume contest will begin on Monday, October 15 and the last day for submission of entries will be Monday, November 5. Winners will be announced by Friday, November 9. To enter go to (web site address). You will be asked to submit a photo of your child in costume and to fill in: a brief description of what the costume is and how it helped you and your child celebrate a holiday or tradition; some information about your child including his or her age; and permission for Family Voices to use this information and photo.
Judging criteria will include:
- Creativity/originality of the costume
- Craftsmanship or handiwork
- How engaging, charming, or meaningful the costume is
- Overall appreciation for this costume on this child
The judges will include
2 – 3 family leaders from different parts of the United States,
2 – 3 youth with special health care needs, and
2 – 3 members of the Family Voices staff representing diverse cultural backgrounds.
Need some inspiration?
Thank you for participating in Family Voices Fall 2012 Costume Contest!